How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 3458
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I am in UK. Can I legally refuse to share my personal and

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon. I am in UK. Can I legally refuse to share my personal and private data with nhs track and trace company? Can I start legal action against school who against my will shares my and my familys details to NHS?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I am preparing to state official letter to local school regarding my position and warn them they will be acting illegally breaking GDPR law.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Idont think so at the moment, just not sure if this could be possible case for lawyer.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have read it is voluntary in some areas in England based on official information from local councils and believe there is an option to opt oot from trace and track nhs scheme in Scotland too?

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am happy to wait for answer as long as it takes.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Thank you for your patience,
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Well, forgive me but I do not really buy this as you are not able to find a professional assist. In my opinion you just do not want to do this. Am I right? I you do not want just tell this to me straight but I ve asked you for opinion to receive professional answer.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It didnt cost much as it is only 5 pounds so I will not give you any grief but please be honest to me.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I will understand your reasons if you have your sponsors and possible answer against the main agenda would hurt your business. No worries.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Thank you for the question.  You do have the right to refuse to share information and also the right erasure for the information that is held about you (although this is not an absolute right) there have been many questions about the track and trace feature, and GDPR, however there has not been a liable action found at this point.  However if your information is being shared in a way it should not, then you can be perceived to be a "victim" of a GDPR breach.   If a person’s data has been given to a third party then the are seen as the “victim” of a breach in association with GDPR.   If the victim wanted to take formal legal action, they may do so under Article 77 of the GDPR. There is no need to show that financial losses have been suffered and compensation can be sought for mere distress caused by the alleged breach. The level of compensation will depend on the severity of the breach and the effects it has had on the victim.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No. You did not answer my question, but ok.

Im sorry I don't understand what I didn't answer, you asked if you can refuse to share data, I answer that you can, you asked if you can take action for the school sharing your data, I stated that  you can and how to go about it.

RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 3458
Experience: LL.B (Hons)
RJM Law and 2 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Did not see your long previous reply. I do apologise. I did receive answer I needed confirming sharing my data is against law. Thank you for your reply, my query is solved. Have a nice day, Mariusz