31090051

I have received a letter demanding that I register to vote.

Customer Question

I have received a letter demanding that I register to vote. I don’t want to. Surely this can’t be a criminal act?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I have not spoken to a lawyer about this. I am resident in Scotland.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None. I have only received a letter which demands I register to vote by October 8th or face an £80 fine.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing else.
Category: Scots Law
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I’m asking on behalf of my wife who is living at home in Scotland. I’m currently working overseas.
Expert:  JGM replied 11 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Expert:  JGM replied 11 days ago.

You have to register to vote if you are of an age to do so. It is an offence not to under the Representation of the People Acts.

Expert:  JGM replied 11 days ago.

I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The letter…..