How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 3012
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

We live on 1st floor of a tenement building. (3 Bolton Drive

This answer was rated:

We live on 1st floor of a tenement building. (3 Bolton Drive 1/3, G42 9DX). Beneath our flat are 3 fast food establishments, Hoagies (a burger/pizza kind of place), Wee China (Chinese takeaway) and Stefanos (pizza takeaway). Since Hoagies opened (2017/18) we have had constant
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Mount Florida, Glasgow
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Complaint to Glasgow Environmental Services about smoke getting into flat. 1st complaint about 3 years ago. Smoke alarm been set off several times. I understand that envir.officer has written to all three establishments. Carbon Monoxide monitor left 1 week. Contacted loc.councilor. no reply
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: All 3 are connected to 1 flu running up back of building. Never been cleaned in 30+ years we've been here. All 3 have lowered tile ceilings. Chinese takeaway has large hole in original plaster ceiling. How smoke is getting in.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
At start of lockdown advised that Council environmental staff could not enter premises.

Hi, welcome to JA, I am Readylaw one of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry

I truly am surprised by the council's lack of response. This to be honest is something that would require the council's environmental teams involvement. I would recommend making a formal written complaint to the council with respect to their reluctance to assist. If after complaining to the council they still fail to act then you could escalate your complaint to the ombudsman responsible for local government

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

ReadyLaw and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you