How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 3446
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I own a livery yard and a client has been aggressive towards

This answer was rated:

I own a livery yard and a client has been aggressive towards my yard manager. I have messaged her to inform her that she is no longer allowed on the property. Her husband and daughter are welcome to come and see the horse on full livery until it moves on but she is not allowed on the yard.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: dunfermline Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: we have texted her to inform her of this however the farrier is due tomorrow and she insists she WILL be there to hold for the farrier, the last time the farrier was here the horse was held by me so there is no need for her to be here as far as welfare is concerned.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: the livery is full package we look after the horses requirements in terms of care

Thank you for the question, I am sorry to hear about this matter.  If the livery belongs to you (or you are leasing it in your name) this is essentially your property.  If you do not wish for an individual to be on your property you do not have to permit them.   Therefore you can advise her that if she is to trespass on your property then you will call the police to have her removed.  The only aspect I would be mindful of is if you have a contractual agreement between the livery and this woman specifically. i.e. just between you and her.  Please let me know if that is the case?  Otherwise, you do not need to permit her access to your land.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
We do have a livery contract and states
The yard or the owner may at any time terminate this agreement or any part of it by giving written notice to the other of not less than the notice period of one month by either party save for any case of physical or verbal abuse.

Yes, but who is the contract signed with, is it specially the woman?  If this the case and you terminate the contract, then be advised you are canceling ALL elements of it (including the right to house the horse and receive payments etc.).  However if you so wish you can terminate without notice due to the behaviour and you can offer the family (husband / daughter) a new contractual agreement if you wish to continue the relationship through the horse.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
It is with the woman and I understand the contract will be terminated in all respects, however we need to house the horse until new accommodation is found by her, in the interest of the animal’s welfare

I fully understand,  You do have the right to offer a new contract to family if you so wish.   You should also write to her and explain you have terminated the contact.

RJM Law and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you