31090051

My son has died suddenly without warning-he was 53 had a

My son has died suddenly without warning-he was 53 had a well paid job lived w=with a partner for over 20 years and had 2 sons aged 18 and 16
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In BlairgowrieHe has a large death in service benefit
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Start had a large death in service benifit-but did not make out an official will-where does that leave his partner and the two sons
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

I am sorry for your loss. Because your son was not married his beneficiaries will be his children although his partner can apply to the court for a share of his estate under s29 of the Family Law (Scotland) Act 2006. As regards ***** ***** in service benefit who that goes to depends on the scheme itself. Often an employee is asked to make a nomination as to whom the benefit is to be paid in the event of death. The first port of call should be to the employer. If there is no nomination, which would be unusual, then the scheme rules will generally say where the money is to go to.

I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.