How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 17167
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I live in Scotland. my ex has not pay my son child

This answer was rated:

hi i live in Scotland . my ex has not pay my son child maitenance since 2017. now he is daying , what i should do
JA: How old is your son?
Customer: 9
JA: Is there an agreement for payment of child support?
Customer: yes
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: my ex lost job in 2017Customer: Chat is completed
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi is someone here?

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Do you mean dying?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.

Sorry I can’t take calls at the moment. Any unpaid maintenance would be a debt on your ex’s estate and you would put in a claim for the arrears. That assumes he has estate that would cover it. If he doesn’t there is no prospect of you making a recovery.

I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
he has a house
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
how do i make a claim

You’re solicitor would intimate a claim to the executor of the estate.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
my ex just passed away. Could you tell me what about scottish family law about my son' s interest.

Your son has a claim on the estate. The extent of that depends on what any will says or if there isn't a will under legal rights. That will depend on what the estate is mad up of. Again you have to contact the executor of the estate.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
hi thank you for your answer. The claim means child maitennence? i been contacted CMS and got answer said if my ex died then no child maitennence anymore. so now i could't make claim of child maitennence with CMS. is that right? and now if my ex( 56years old) has private pension and estate left then equals with 3 children, is that right?