How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 3765
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

Ive received a letter from a debt collection agency

Customer Question

Hello,ive received a letter from a debt collection agency regarding council tax however I am exempt as I am a student and have proved this. Can you help?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Edinburgh in scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've just received the letter and had a look at the website and called them and I cannot find anything about how to appeal this.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No thats about it. Thanks for the help
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Scots Law
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 8 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today.   I am the expert who shall assist you with this matter today.

Please note that our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.  If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised you will receive one by the end of the day

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question.  However please note this does not form a professional client relationship and we cannot provide representation, however, I would be hopeful that my guidance will be able to assist you.

Thank you

Expert:  RJM Law replied 7 days ago.

If you are a student staying on your own, or living with other student's then you would be exempt.   You, of course, have to provide this information to the council when you move in.  However assuming you have done this, you will require to deal with the council,  not the debt agency.  If  you provide them with the proof you have given evidence of exemption but they have not applied this, they should remedy the matter.   If they do not they wold require to take you to court to obtain the sums due, if you can provide  evidence you provided them with the information you were exempt they would not be able to succeed in their case.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.