Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Someone has accused me of inappropriate touching of another

Hi, Someone has accused me of inappropriate touching of another person but they did not go to the police. This person works in a bar and now I have been refused entry to this bar . I know the owner and he is looking into the accusation. This is malicious and a personal attack on me.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Dundee Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have been in touch with the owner of the bar as this incident took place in another bar and hopefully they will have video evidence that this did not happen.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The person who is accusing me does not communicate with me much when I have visited the bar.

What is your specific question in relation to this please, so that I can best advise?

My apologies, I’m Ben and I will assist you today. Please do provide the information requested so that I may determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Can I get in contact with the police and what are my legal rights?

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please leave it with me and I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
ok, thank you.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about this situation and any associated issues.

Whilst you can get in contact with the police, it is unlikely they will be able to do much as no criminal laws have been broken here. Unless the person makes a complaint about you to the police, they will not get involved as there is nothing for them to investigate here.

The fact that you have been banned from a bar is unfortunate but not illegal. The bar is private property and the owner can decide not to allow you on their premises for whatever reason they want, even if it is based on baseless allegations.

This is something between you and the person who made the allegations. You can always make it clear to them that spreading such false rumours could amount to defamation, although in reality that is very complex to pursue. Still, it is certainly something you can raise with them and threaten them to take it further on those grounds, even if you are not necessarily going to do so.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Great service, dealt with my query in a professional fast and efficient way. Would contact them again with any legal problem.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best