How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 4055
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I would like to know if somebody from Europe that doesn't

Customer Question

Hello I would like to know if somebody from Europe that doesn't have a visa only a valid passport can legally work in Scotland? I'm currently working for 3 months for a company in Scotland. And now I'm being put in the situation where I am forced to leave the property where my living quarters are in 48h hours without payment. Is that legal was I working on the black?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I live in Romania, but have been working for the last 3 months for a company in Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Scots Law
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I want to add that I have Watsup conversations with my former employers in wich they were offering me an hourly rate wich didn't correspond with the real payments and also the promise that they will be able to hire us legally.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 14 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  If you do not have a visa which allows you to work in the UK the employer is at risk if they employ you (or keep you employed after checks come back) if that job includes accommodation as part of the contract, then I am afraid that they can legally do this yes.  If you have the right to work, but have been dismissed you could potentially take a breach of contract issue with them.  

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.