How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 17075
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I wish a lawyer to represent me in pursuing compensation

Customer Question

Hello I wish a lawyer to represent me in pursuing compensation from Scottish Water for multiple incidents of sewerage flooding into my house
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Scotland, Musselburgh
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have received an offer of 3.2k plus they have undertaken remedial work on my land to prevent future flooding
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: There hve been around 30 incidents across 3 years.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 19 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 19 days ago.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

Just a note we don't represent people in claims as we are not a law firm. We are an internet forum so we are limited to online Q&A information and guidance only.

As for your case, they will continue to offer low offers as you have no lawyer currently.

Whilst you could negotiate with them, I would say real progress will be made assuming you use a law firm. They will ensure you recover as much as possible (compensation-wise).

There is still time to sue them as the limitation period to do so is still some time off. So there is scope to negotiate an increase in the meantime but I only recommend you do this if the offers reflect your true loss - if not, and I suspect the offers are currently very low, then a lawyer will be the way forwards. They may offer you no win no fee terms so you pay nothing up front and are protected from legal costs if the case doesn't go your way.

As for who to use, there are many firms around but I will set out a few for you as follows :





Expert:  JimLawyer replied 19 days ago.

I hope this helps

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 19 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 19 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,