31090051

Its regarding my mums estate no sure if be entitled to

Customer Question

its regarding my mums estate no sure if be entitled to anything as she married again
JA: Where is she? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: scotland
JA: What steps has she taken so far?
Customer: we know nothing my mum died on 21st May no sure if mum had a will
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 14 days ago.

Expert:  JGM replied 13 days ago.
Your mother's estate will be governed by her Will or by the general succession law. If she had no will then her husband gets the house up to a value of £473,000. They’ll get a lump sum of £473,000 if the house is worth more, and may have to sell off the property.

They also get:

• furniture and moveable household goods up to the value of £29,000
  • up to £50,000 in cash
  • a third of the rest of the estate

Children will get two-thirds of the rest of the estate.

if there is a Will which excludes the children they can still make a claim for a total on one third of moveable estate, ie, everything except the house.

Expert:  JGM replied 13 days ago.

I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.