RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

Could I legally take promotions that bars publish on social

Customer Question

Could I legally take promotions that bars publish on social media and website and channel them through one application as a new platform?
JA: The Lawyer can help you determine if that's legal. Where are you located? These laws vary by location.
Customer: Scotland United Kingdom
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The idea is to promote an application that helps people find bars, so this application would provide a single source of all the promotions posted on social channels by bars
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 9 days ago.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 8 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi - My question was regarding the legality of using information publicly published on Social Media channels and channelling it through another app - If I was to take a Bars announcement that they have live music and publish it in my app under that Bars name so people can discover venues
Expert:  RJM Law replied 7 days ago.

Thank you I am just looking at this for you now.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 7 days ago.

Thank you.   You may need licence from the bars etc. depending on the promotion.  However you will find that most bars will be happy to receive the free advertising.  If you are simply pointing out the promotion that would not be the case, it would really depend on how you intend to profit from this.   Either way, it may be a good idea to work with the bars themselves and obtain permission.  This would not only protect you but likely be beneficial to your business.  

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ (England)

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/ (Scotland)

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Solicitor-Firm-Search/ (Ireland)

https://www.lawsoc-ni.org/solicitors (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.