How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 17401
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I have been attending the sheriff court with my case which

Customer Question

Hello my name is***** i have been attending the sheriff court with my case which has had a sist placed on my pi claim for not agreeing to a pre existing injury they are going against a NHS diagnoses i first attended the sheriff court without representation 7 weeks ago and was granted 3 weeks then i was granted another 4 weeks again to find a lawyer i have made dozens of calls to law firms who say that they cant get involved with the explanation that there is not enough time for them to do the litigation or because there is a time bar on the case and yesterday 1st august i was given another 4 weeks to find representation i have already spoke to the legal aid board this morning but all they could advise me to do was to keep asking lawyers for representation but i know through dozens of calls/emails that there does not seem to be a facility for help for me in my situation could you please advise me what help /advice could help me get representation as i have been off work for 3 years with my shoulder condition TENDINOSIS which i am still receiving treatments for .
JA: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I stay in Glasgow i have been attending web-x sheriff court
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: as i explained Thompsons the law firm have placed a sist on my case
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: this is a very complicated case and not one that i could simply explain in an email as there is to much information
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

Sorry to hear of the issue.
Securing a lawyer for a personal injury claim can be difficult - most offer no win no fee agreements and all law firms have criteria to assess a case - one of those is how long there is until the limitation period to issue the claim at court (which is 3 years in the UK).
You would generally need a law firm for such a claim as they are complex cases and expensive if you get anything wrong - you would be liable for the defence costs which could be very high.
It would be a case of looking around for a firm as each one will have different criteria - if limitation is approaching or has been missed, an application to court is possible to ask the court to extend the limitation period though there needs to be a good reason to do so.
You can try no win no fee lawyers or pro bono (pro bono would not charge but it depends if you are eligible).

Here are a few examples of law firms you could consider :





As for pro bono, you can try these firms for legal representation (they are a charity who connect you to pro bono lawyers) : or /

Here is another:

And there is this one :

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

I hope this helps

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question starting off with @JimLawyer.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,


Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Jim i was with Thompsons no win no fee it was this company that took it past the 3 year time bar and placed the sist on my claim i have tried dozens of legal aid firms with the same response as i already explained
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** law firm was negligent (e.g. they did not issue the claim in time) then it's possible to bring a professional negligence claim against them.