How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 4306
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

My stepfather passed away last year leaving the estate to my

This answer was rated:

My stepfather passed away last year leaving the estate to my mother, the bank has written to my mother about accounts still open in his name, unfortunately my mother passed away a few months ago and the bank won't deal with me as I'm a step child ( but am Executor of my mothers estate), how do I go about closing the bank accounts in his name? I am in Scotland
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Scotland
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I have the Death Certificate from my step father also his birth certificate and all legal paperwork also I have the Death Certificate from my mother
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am not aware of any biological children by my stepfather

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you by the end of the evening.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist ifi in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Thank you I am just looking over this for you now.

Thank you for the question.  The banks should deal with you provided you can show them you are the executor of the estate.  I would therefore send them a copy of the Will showing you are the executor and then provide a copy of the death certificate.  It is the the executors responsibly to deal with these matters therefore once they have been provided this they should deal with you.  If this not the case, they may want authorisation of the Will, you could have this certified by a solicitor.  

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

RJM Law and 2 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It is my stepfather account that thd bank want to close. The bank said I have to get probate but I'm not sure how to do this in Scotland

To do this in Scotland, you need to see the form C1 for what is called confirmation this is probate in Scotland.