How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 4256
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I have I live in Scotland and I’m divorced. My ex believes a

Customer Question

Hi I have I live in Scotland and I’m divorced. My ex believes a mistake he made with a tax return after his redundancy ( while we were married but did not come to light till after divorce ) is partly my responsibility. He had to pay a tax bill of £16k and now said when it comes time to pay my lump sum from his pension he will take me to court to get this reduced by £8k. Can he do this? Thanks.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in the family court?
Customer: We are fully divorced with a full separation agreement
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no everything else is agreed just him wanting to reduce my lump sum.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 4 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 4 days ago.

Do you have a financial agreement in place?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks for your response, yes we have a legal separation agreement which includes a financial agreement.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 4 days ago.

Thank you it is unlikely he would be able to do this is he is responsible for the underpayment.  In addition to this at the time of his retirement, he may be out of time to make a claim for this, it can be quite difficult to change a finical order when one has been made, if he is liable for the mistake he would unlikely be able to claim against you.  However if he does do this in time then it would be advisable to have a solicitor assess the merits of their claim.  If he sends you a legal letter, you do not have any obligation to do what they are requesting only a court can do this.  

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.