RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

I would like to find about my rights,my half brother

Customer Question

Good evening.
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I would like to find about my rights,my half brother ,maternal brother died yesterday I had one half sister maternal sister to.My brother made a will but he died before he managed to sign it . I was the person that I have been taking care of everything for my brother and helping him went he need it .He never had contact with his real sister,but now when he past awesom
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We are in Orkney,Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Speaking to my maternal sister about my brother wishes
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes ,he did mention to everyone that I am the person who is getting all his estate and he made a will which he didn’t manage to sign .
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 6 days ago.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 5 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 5 days ago.

Unfortunately if the Will is not signed, it will not be valid.  However you can look at applying to be executor dative to the estate.  This would need to be to the court.  You would be able to distribute the estate under the laws of succession.  This distribution would depend on what family members exist.  

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ (England)

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/ (Scotland)

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Solicitor-Firm-Search/ (Ireland)

https://www.lawsoc-ni.org/solicitors (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.