Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd,
Experience:  Owner/Partner at Bargain Box
99457030

I can't get my singer needle to go up and down, sorry.

Hello I can't get my singer needle to go up and down
JA: Do you know the model of your Singer sewing machine? How old is it?
Customer: Hi, sorry. Signal dropped. It's a 319K and about 55 years old. It's been serviced and had a new motor about 10 years ago
JA: How long has this been going on with your Singer sewing machine? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's just done it today as I set about some sewing. I've taken the bobbin case out to check blockage but no joy
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: When I turn the handle it feels stiff

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please keep looking, thank you. Could you give me an idea of how long this will take and if you think you will be able to find someone

Likely to be a thread jam...

Check around and under bobbin case

Check under Needleplate for feed teeth lint trapped in there

Takeup lever on top shaft (VERY difficult to see at times, as the thread can jam between the shaft and armature… good light and a magnifier is recommended) (The take-up lever is located directly above the presser foot of a sewing machine. It's the part of the machine that pulls the thread from the spool to feed it through the machine and lifts the thread back up out of the cloth after a stitch has been made. Simply put, it's the part that goes “up and down” as you sew.)

Handwheel near bobbin winder… (inside the body, on the spindle, even the Handwheel at times)

What can you see ?

If the Handwheel is stiff or locked up, there is a 95% chance of a jam in one of the 3 places mentioned
Takeup crank can be so bad as to have jammed BETWEEN Shaft and Connecting rod... it needs to be dismantled to resolve, and is not for the untrained unfortunately

The other 5% is where sitting idle for a long period causes issues of corrosion or old oil forming ‘glue’

Martyn Lloyd,
Experience: Owner/Partner at Bargain Box
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much indeed. I will work through the options