Tim JA
Tim JA, Mechanic
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

The microwave has a small metal pin inside it it's exposed

Customer Question

Hi the microwave has a small metal pin inside it it's exposed should it have a cover or can it remove it completely
JA: What's the brand and model of your microwave? How old is it?
Customer: It's delonghi cat no 922/2982
JA: How long has this been going on with your Delonghi microwave? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's only just happened first it wouldn't switch off then it started sparking like crazy so unplugged it ,then I took the cover off to check everything is connected and working all seems fine that's when I noticed the white lead connected to the programme board and the metal pin going into the microwave oven
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It's not that old barely a year there are no other problems with it and it's kept clean and clear
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Tim JA replied 18 days ago.

Good afternoon, and welcome to the Technical section in Just Answer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

I'm not sure about the component that you're seeing, so please attach a photo so that I can identify it - see the following guidance on attaching photos:

https://www.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
File attached (TG6T27L)
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No thank you
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
File attached (GG1Q43P)
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi sent you a video and some pictures hope you see what I'm on about
Expert:  Tim JA replied 18 days ago.

I will look through your photos now...

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Great thank you
Expert:  Tim JA replied 18 days ago.

The component in your hand appears to be a temperature sensor.  Is that the pin that you're referring to?

What was the fault with your microwave oven?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It's sparking like crazy is it supposed to have a cover can I remove it completely or do I need a new microwave
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Can I get a part for it
Expert:  Tim JA replied 18 days ago.

What was the purchase date of the appliance?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It's about a year and a half ago
Expert:  Tim JA replied 18 days ago.

OK, so it's out of warranty.

What was being heated in the microwave when it started sparking?  What made you disassemble it?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
My son was heating pop corn I thought maybe something had become detached so I took the cover off to look and check all components were working and connected
Expert:  Tim JA replied 18 days ago.

Was the popcorn contained in a bag?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Expert:  Tim JA replied 18 days ago.

I hope that you've following the necessary capacitor discharge procedure before working inside the appliance casing.

The most likely scenario is that some food from the previous heating session has lodged inside the waveguide, so I would look there first.  If there is no food evident, then this is such a cheap microwave that I would not be tempted to repair it, but just replace it.  Also, I wouldn't buy anything made by AEG; it's not the company that it used to be.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing a new microwave it is then lol thank you so much for your help and advise I very much appreciate it
Expert:  Tim JA replied 18 days ago.

You're very welcome.  Buy something German if you can find it at a good price ;-)

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Your right the Germans really know how to make things that last lol
Expert:  Tim JA replied 18 days ago.

Indeed so.  And that are easy to maintain along the way.