canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  Plumber and Handyman
64367226

My bernina 140 activa does not respond to foot pedal, 20

my bernina 140 activa does not respond to foot pedal
JA: How old is your Bernina sewing machine?
Customer: 20 years
JA: How long has this been going on with your Bernina sewing machine? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it was a sudden failure. power seems ok and lights all work
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that i can think of. machine very reliable since new

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the repair field for over 20 years. I am sorry you are having issues with your Bernina sewing machine foot pedal. I will be glad to help you today.

I'm happy to help you decide if you need to get your appliance professionally repaired or if you can manage the repair yourself. However, sometimes it takes me time to type out a more extended response; please be patient!

A foot pedal issue can either be a problem with the machine or the attachment. First, you would unplug the pedal and use a multimeter to test the continuity of the foot pedal. If you do not get continuity when depressing the pedal, you will know the attachment will require some disassembly and repair or replacement. If you get continuity, the issue is in the port or the machine.

In the case of the issue being in the machine, you would contact the manufacturer for a wiring diagram of the foot pedal circuit and use that diagram to troubleshoot the electronic fault in the machine.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
no access to a multimeter

I see. Maybe it is time to contact a local repair service. 

Our service is advice only.

You would have to contact a local repair service.

I am only familiar with my area, so I would only be googling it and blindly recommending someone.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I will search for a local repair

Do you have any additional questions or concerns?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
No thanks.

You are very welcome.

Please reach out to me if anything changes or if you need to chat further!

You can add me to your favorites from the "My Questions" page, and if you start the question with the words "For canuck the pro," that will request me.

I surely want to be your go-to expert. Maybe I can tell you some household things that might be helpful. How to flush your water heater, maintain your dishwasher, or anything else that would be helpful to you. Thank you so much for allowing me to help with this today.