Jon K.
Jon K., Small engine diagnostic expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

atco admiral 16 electric start iIhave had this mower about

atco admiral 16 electric start
iIhave had this mower about 3 years and the electric start hardley ever works. I have had the mower fully serviced recently and a large battery fitted but it has made no difference. I have also had fuel system flushed, cleaned carburetta, plug and new air filter. Engine starts if cord is pulled very hard.
Does this Briggs & Stratton engine have an inherant fault?
H. Pageot

Can I get the model type and code that is typed into the engine housing?

Here is an example of what I am looking for.

Also is this an overhead valve engine, if so I believe I know where your problem lies.

Once I have some more information I will be able to help you out.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for responding.

I have looked at the engine but nothing I can see is on the engine.

It is a Quantum XTL 50 and has a bar code on the engine casing

0506015779171.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I do not know if this is an OHV engine - it is too built in to see the construction or any numbers on the engine

I will need to know if it is an overhead valve engine. If it is you will see a square or rectangular shaped cover with a bolt in each corner. It is usually marked "OHV" but not always. If it is then you will need to adjust your valves. What is happening is the compression cam release on the valves is not working correctly. Once you have them adjusted to spec you should be able to pull start or use the electric starter easily. This is a very common problem in over head valve Briggs and Stratton Engines
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your effort.
Eventually I found the engine number in a most inaccessible place.
The engine is not OHV.
In desperation I bought another spark plug and all works well now.
Thanks for trying.
Henri Pageot