Jon K.
Jon K., Small engine diagnostic expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

the camshaft of my 6.5 intek has a small spring loaded toggle

the camshaft of my 6.5 intek has a small spring loaded 'toggle' fitted between the cams. The tiny hairspring is broken. I cannot see what this part actually does or engages with and is not shown in the B&S engine parts diagrams. The engine runs but is very smoky - I had expected a broken piston ring but not so and am now wondering if this 'toggle' could be the cause?

This is a decompresion valve. When you go to start the engine it keeps the exhaust valve open just a hair to drain off some of the compression making it easier to turn the engine over. Once the engine starts and reaches a minimal RPM the toggle closes allowing the exhaust vavle to function properly. If it is broken and not working it will make pulling the engine over very very difficult. It is not found in the parts breakdown because it is not a serviceable part, you must replace the cam in order to fix it. I highly doubt that this has anything to do with your engine smoking. Usually that is a failure of your rings or valve seals.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

right, thanks very much - I hadn't thought of that or come across that before on such a small engine! Thanks very much

No problem, if you have more questions feel free to ask.