Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators.
19372534

Following hurrican I bought a Kohler 20RESA from the US. It

Following hurrican Maria I bought a Kohler 20RESA from the US. It was to provide 240VAC @50Hz. It has 2-Poles gkvk g 120 VAC [email protected] Hz.
My home is in Dominca with a 240 VAC 50 Hz with a Mains connection on one Live and one Neutral. How do I supply my house with the needed 240VAC on one pole and neutral on the other? I would appreciate your belp.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Unfortunately, you are not going to be able to use this unit.

US 240 volt power is different than your 230 volt power.

In the US, 240 volts is pulled by a 3 wire system - 2 hot legs of 120 volts each, and a neutral leg. The 2 hot legs are 180 degrees out of phase from each other, and can not be combined.

In Dominica, 230 volts is pulled by a 2-wire system. One hot leg of 230 volts, and 1 neutral.

You would need a genset rated for 230V/50z.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there any conversion or intermediate steps that can be made?

No, unfortunately not.

The wiring is completely different.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As I have to rebuild one of my floors and roof it would appear that I'm going "Yankee".
Thanks for you help!

I'm sorry the news wasn't better, but I can't lie about it.

Thank you for using Just Answer, and please take a moment to rate my assistance.