Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have a Perkins 6354 M, non turbo on my boat. Slightly

Hi, I have a Perkins 6354 M, non turbo on my boat. Slightly overfield the oil and after 1 hour slow running the alarm went off. No lights showing on dash. Spotted a small discharge of oil from dipstick filler, no overheating or obvious faults. Turned off port engine (using stbd one only) Re-started after one hour to manouvre, started fine, gauges still showing as normal but the whistle remained on (no lights showing). Came back a few days later and she started fine again but the whistle still going. Checked there was no air pressure when running with the oil filler cap off. Can this be a sensor problem or something worse? An engineer reckons it is electrical fault but an experienced sparks does not know what. Do you have any ideas?
Cheers
Graeme

Check the oil pressure switch on the engine. If it is one wire sender, unplug it, and see if buzzer stops. If a two-wire, the wires may need to be jumpered to test.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where is that switch?

Located on the side of the engine block, on the main oil galley.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where is that switch? Sorry to be thick but which side of engine, what does it look like? And if that is the problem do you know what woud have caused it? Thanx

It is on the side opposite the fuel injection pump. Switch may have just failed, or the wire may be shorted.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where is that switch? Sorry to be thick but which side of engine, what does it look like? And if that is the problem do you know what woud have caused it? ThanxNot on the boat till later this week. WIll try that and call back if necessary. Thanx for now. Is phone call extra charge?

The call is an extra charge and may not be needed. The switch will look similar to the attached.