Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

Honda gx120 engine runs for 20mins then dies. Difficult to

honda gx120 engine runs for 20mins then dies. Difficult to keep running after that. It then hunts and it smells of fuel.Changed spark plug, fuel filter, fuel cap & carb. Oil level good.Not sure what else to check before I give up and take it to be repaired.

Have you checked the spark, to see if it becomes erratic? You can have a coil that is getting hot and acting up. May not be a fuel problem! Does it run ok again after it cools off?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if I leave the machine for 30 mins or so I can get another 20mins out of it. This engine drives a lawn aerator for my business so waiting for cool down is really annoying.I don't have one of those spark testers. If I get one do I need to watch it over the 20min period? or should I just fit a new coil?Is there anything else it could be?Thanks for your help

I would just replace the coil! It fails just like this sounds.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. I'll fit a new coil and hopefully this will solve the problem.If not I might need a bit more of your expert help.Thank you

OK>Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Curtis.Replaced the coil but still have the same problem. Any other ideas?Mark

If it loses spark, the oil level/oil pressure switch may be killing the engine.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
With a new coil and spark plug could it still be spark problem?

Yes, but losing spark from outside source, like the oil pressure/oil level switch.