Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have a countax kid rider that runs ok for about fifteen

Customer Question

I have a countax kid rider that runs ok for about fifteen minutes and then stops. I originally thought it was probably a carburetor problem so I replaced it but the problem persisted. Then I thought something electrical must be breaking down when it warms up so I replaced the spark coil thing but that didn't help either. I now seem to be going round in circles and could do with some guidance
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

When it quits, how long before it will restart?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
10 minutes

Does the engine have an oil pressure switch that would kill the spark? Sounds like the spark is being killed. Have you checked for spark when it quits?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's a tecumseh 13 engine and no pressure switch. I have maybe been led astray in that whenever it stops there seems to be no petrol in the filter but then I moved the petrol tank so that it was sitting behind me ie a foot above the carburetor and exactly the same thing happened. Then I started thinking about the electrics and the power that creates the spark comes directly from the magneto thing to the plug so what else can effect it once it is running. The answer to your question then is no. I will check it first thing in the morning. Andy

OK>

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Curtis. No there is no spark there. I have noticed that there is a little wire that comes off the ignition coil which goes back to the pcb. When the engine is running there is about 28V on this. When it stops this voltage disappears??

If you unplug this wire will engine start and run?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. It will not

Sounds like the voltage regulator, not the ignition coil, next to the flywheel.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK. I have looked at that a bit. It obviously creates probably thirty volts or thereabouts. It sends it to a PCB. Does the PCB condition that voltage or just forward it on to the ignition coil?

The thirty volts from the stator has to be AC volts, ad it is converted to Dc volts by the rectifier/regulator and would exit for battery charging around 15 volts DC. No voltage should go to the coil. Coil just thas a kill wire which is grounded to kill the spark.