Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

Viking MT5097c - how to adjust hydraulic gear drive? No

Viking MT5097c - how to adjust hydraulic gear drive? No power in reverse on small incline
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: returned after service! Supposed to be corrected. Want to adjust myself
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can find rod adjustments. Accelerator pedal down will not move in reverse on incline

The reverse travel rod has to be moved, so it moves the lever on the transmission more. With a single rod for forward and reverse, the lever at the transmission may have slipped, and needs to be repositioned. But any adjustment to reverse will also affect forward, so you have to be careful and not go too far.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No further questions until I can examine the rod connections

OK>

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I exposed the adjustments. One on rod to engine, one from pedal connects to a spindle across chassis. Cannot ascertain its function. Jacked drive wheels to check neutral. No rotation for forward or neutral. Slight rotation for reverse. 2 turns to rod adjustment made no difference. Altered pedal adjustment 2 turns both ways. Tightening 2 turns seemed to give more movement. Tested mower on 1:10 grass slope. Better than previous reversing, but very slow. Needs more thorough test when weather is drier. Does this seem successful?

Yes, maybe a little more travel!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This problem is too specialised for your organisation. It is not fair on your technician

Just try a little more adjustment!