ranwell1
ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of Large Small engine repair business. Over 44 years. Certified both 2-cycle and 4-cycle engines
18770454

I haven’t started my Ryobi lawnmower for over a year and

I haven’t started my Ryobi lawnmower for over a year and fuel was low, refilled but it won’t start?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Hour or so, drained the lower fuel sump and it was free flowing , just not firing
Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: Today and briefly when tried yesterday
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Well if relatively easy I would have but can’t find all the relevant tools so perhaps not
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Hi. I will be glad to try to help you.
The problem that ypu are most likely having is that the carburetor is restricted or plugged. This is caused because of the fuel that was left in it has gone bad and turned to gum or varnish or dirt inside the carburetor. Gas can NEVER be used or left in a nower engine for longer than 30 days maximum. You will most likely have to clean the carburetor and rebuild it with a COMPLETE carburetor repair kit. You will also need to drain and clean the gas tank and fuel lines. Then go and buy some VERY FRESH 89 octane fuel from a very good gas station such as Shell, BP, Sonoco, or Phillips 66.
DO NOT USE GAS FROM ANY DISCOUNT GAS STATION!
The fuel from discount stations fo not have enough of the additives that are needed for the small engines to continue to work well.
I hope this has helped.
Feel free to contact me here at this question anytime... even after you have given me your good 5 star rating. Please give me a good 5 star rating as this is the only way I get paid for my time and effort. You may even leave me a BONUS if you feel I have been helpful. Thank you.
ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience: Owner of Large Small engine repair business. Over 44 years. Certified both 2-cycle and 4-cycle engines