Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have a mountfield WB 45 that won’t start. it starts and

Customer Question

I have a mountfield WB 45 that won’t start. it starts and runs for a few seconds, belchibg smoke, and then stops.
JA: What specific tool or machine does this involve?
Customer: Mountfield WB45 lawnmower
JA: How long has this been going on with your lawn mower? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well I tried to service the machine, removed the carburettor and cleaned it and following that the problem started.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no i don’t think so.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 13 days ago.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
When can I expect an answer?
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 12 days ago.

Hello, welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer; my name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

I'm sorry that you've had to wait for a technical response. The current question volume is unprecedented. Not only are fewer experts available to respond at the moment, but there are more questions from people being at home in isolation. Hence we are extremely busy. Please give us a little bit of latitude in response time.
_____

Please can you outline what you did to the carburettor?

_____

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I cleaned it by flushing it with a carburettor cleaner.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 12 days ago.

What was the original symptom that led you to clean the carburettor?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The engine was not running properly.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 12 days ago.

I should have asked you earlier: what colour is the smoke that it's belching?

I presume the smoke is coming from the exhaust?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
White, from the exhaust.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 12 days ago.

By any chance did the mower have an extended period of being laid up?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No. It was working last week.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 11 days ago.

I don’t have any good news for you. The best I can hope is that the cause is nothing more than a worn valve guide. I don’t want to be a doom-monger, but in the list of potential problems are worse things, such as a worn/broken piston ring, a worn cylinder, and a cracked piston. A compression test would help confirm an internal engine problem before taking the step of stripping down, but I think you’ll end up taking the head off to investigate.

Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 6 days ago.

Hello, how are you getting on with your Mountfield?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Tim,
My advice at the lawn mower shop is that the problem is symptomatic of a dirty carburettor. They cleaned it, ultrasonically, but this has not solved the problem. There advice was then get a new one, which was have ordered, together with gaskets and air filter.
By the way I have cancelled my trial with just answer, but I guess you don’t know this?
Barney Neill
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 5 days ago.

Hi Barney, you can’t cancel the trial - the topic is still here, as you can see. Was there something about my assistance that meant you didn’t want to give me a rating?