ranwell1
ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of Large Small engine repair business. Over 44 years. Certified both 2-cycle and 4-cycle engines
18770454

Run my qualcast lawnmower without any oil spark plug white

Customer Question

Run my qualcast lawnmower without any oil spark plug white is I worth repairing
JA: What's the brand and model of your lawn mower? How old is it?
Customer: qualcast 51cm Briggs and Stratton engine
JA: How long has this been going on with your lawn mower? What have you tried so far?
Customer: brought lawn mower last week secondhand full of petrol but didn’t check oil stopped running ‘ fuel was very close to empty refilled fuel and checked oil for the first time that was empty removed plug looked very dry and whitish
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: pump petrol button starts for a few seconds then dies
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I will be glad to try the help you.

I would first fill the engine with oil and try to start it. You might get lucky and it might start and run.... FOR A LITTLE WHILE...! But usually when it runs out of oul, the engine is ruined.

There is a chance that the reason the engine runs for a few seconds and dies... that the carburetor is dirty and needs to be cleaned and rebuilt using a COMPLETE carburetor repair kit. If you had not mentioned the oil being low, that is what I would have suggested first... the carburetor.

I suppose it depends on how much money you paid for the mower as to whether you want to chance doing any work to it at all.

Even if you do get it to run.... it will not be very long before the engine blows because it has been run without oil..... so do not put much money into fixing it.

I hope this helps you.

If you need any more help with this, you can contact me here at this question...even after you have given me a GOOD 5 star rating.

.......................

"Please leave a GOOD 5 star rating for me as that is the only way I get paid for my time. You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful. If you cannot give me one of the highest ratings, then please do not rate me AT ALL until we discuss this answer further and you are happy with my answer".

There should be a link at the bottom of the page where you can leave a good 5 star rating. If you are using a cell phone, you may have to click on the FINISH CONVERSATION button first and then the rating buttons should appear. Please do that for me as that is the ONLY way I get paid for my time. Thank you. If you cannot find the rating link, then please at least mention in a reply to me that you are wanting to give me a positive 5 star rating and I may be able to send the question to the moderator and they may be able to credit me... but it is best for you to hit the link for the rating.