ranwell1
ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of Large Small engine repair business. Over 44 years. Certified both 2-cycle and 4-cycle engines
18770454

Why do the cutting blades cut out after half hour on my toro

Why do the cutting blades cut out after half hour on my toro ride on
JA: Do you know the model of your Toro tool or machine? How old is it?
Customer: It’s a wheel horse 265 hydro, about 15years
JA: How long has this been going on with your Toro? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We only got it yesterday ūüôą
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: have tried letting it rest

Sorry it took so long to get you an answer. Because of the Covid 19 virus, manny people are trying to repair their own equipment so there are a lot more questions for us to answer and it is hard to keep up.

Hi, I will be glad to try to help you.

First. a battery problem will cause major trouble with the PTO. It takes an enormous amount of battery energy to run an electric clutch. So if your battery is low...or goes down, the pto cannot work. Even if there is enough power to start the engine.

If you bought a battery from a discount store. There is a good possibility that either the battery was bad right off the shelf or that it didn't have the required 350 cca that is the minimum for an electric clutch to work correctly for any length of time.

If the battery keeps going down, you could also have a problem with the charging system. Just a note about charging systems in a lawn mower. YOU CANNOT EVER JUMP-START A LAWNMOWER WITH AN AUTOMOBILE OR YOU WILL RUIN THE CHARGING SYSTEM OF THE MOWER. tHE SYSTEM OF THE CAR WILL BLOW THE MOWER'S CHARGING SYSTEM.

You'd have to have the charging system in the mower checked.

The PTO switch could also be bad causing this problem. This happens fairy often.

Also check the wires that attach to the pto clutch. If they came loose, it won't work. Also check for any corrosion on any of the wire terminals and also the battery post and terminals. Also check to make sure that there is not corrosion on the ground cables.

Last but not least, the PTO itself could be bad.... or at least need adjusted...if it has an adjustment. If you have an adjustable clutch, the setting is .010" between the two halves of the clutch...(in between the slots)

If you need any more help with this, you can contact me here at this question...even after you have given me a GOOD 5 star rating.

.......................

"Please leave a GOOD 5 star rating for me as that is the only way I get paid for my time. You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful. If you cannot give me one of the highest ratings, then please do not rate me AT ALL until we discuss this answer further and you are happy with my answer".

There should be a link at the bottom of the page where you can leave a good 5 star rating. If you are using a cell phone, you may have to click on the FINISH CONVERSATION button first and then the rating buttons should appear. Please do that for me as that is the ONLY way I get paid for my time. Thank you. If you cannot find the rating link, then please at least mention in a reply to me that you are wanting to give me a positive 5 star rating and I may be able to send the question to the moderator and they may be able to credit me... but it is best for you to hit the link for the rating.

ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience: Owner of Large Small engine repair business. Over 44 years. Certified both 2-cycle and 4-cycle engines