ranwell1
ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of Large Small engine repair business. Over 44 years. Certified both 2-cycle and 4-cycle engines
18770454

I have got a countax ride on lawnmower twin engine not

hi i have got a countax ride on lawnmower twin engine not getting a spark when turning over i have pulled the kill wirer on the coils cleand the fly wheel put new spark plug in bypast the safftey switches cheers Andy

Hello Andy,
thank you for your inquiry at JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I try to help you to find a solution for the problem, which is annoying, I understand.
Can you give me the exact make and model of your lawnmower please? Sorry, as I am not a native speaker, what do you mean with a "countax ride?"

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.

Best regards.
Your's Gery

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi it is a countax c300h site on lawnmower Briggs engine on it

Thank you for the information. Locate the wires going to the coils and remove them and check for spark. If you have spark, the kill wire circuit is shorting out the spark. Can be wire harness shorting out, or can be a keyswitch problem.

Best regards.

Gery

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have told you that I have already removed these but still no spark

Okay, sounds that the ignition coil itself is faulty, as you have checked all other possibilities yet!

Best regards.

Gery

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but it has two of and I don’t think they both would go at the same time cheers

Yes, probably not on both at the same time! Briggs & Stratton uses a kill diode block that goes to both coils, locate the wires to the coils and unplug them, if you have spark, the diode block would be the problem.

Best regards.

Gery

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the kill block is where the two coils are connected two that is the wires have been un plugged So I am not getting a spark and the spark plugs are both dry no fuel going two cheers

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry, but I think I can't help you any further with this issue. I will opt-out that another collegue may help you.

Thanks for your understanding, take care and stay healthy!

Best regards.

Gery

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Alina-Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will wait thanks again

Hi.I will be glad to try to help you.

I am sorry that you are having this issue.

I will give you an initial answer and then we may need to discuss this further if the information I gave you does not completely solve your issue. Feel free to contact me here at this post if you need further information. It would also be nice for you to let me know how things worked out.

I basically agree with the other expert. It has to be either the diode that goes between the two coils and/ot the coils themselves.

One reason that both coils and the diode will go out together is if there has been 12 volts that has gone to them. This will blow these items.

Usually the cause of this is the ignition switch may have gotten a short in it and has caused the 12 volt power to go to the coils through the shut off wire.

I hope this information helps.

Feel free to contact me here at this post if you would like to discuss this issue further.

Please give me a good 5 star rating and feel free to leave me a BONUS if you feel I have been particularly helpful.

There should be a link at the bottom of the page where you can leave a good 5 star rating. If you are using a cell phone, you may have to click on the FINISH CONVERSATION button first and then the rating buttons should appear. Please do that for me. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I will test the coil’s over the weekend and I will let you know how I get on thank Andy

Yes, let me know what you find.

Although, usually, I have not had anhy good luck trying to test these coils... even with my very expensive coil load tester. I can test 10 coils that I know are good and 9 of them will test bad.

I usually have to give up and replace both coils and the diode that goes between them before I get them to work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there put a test on coils and got one at 5.67 and the other at 6.45 that was it set a 20k on meter do you what a coil should be hank Andy

Thank you for getting back to me.

I do not know what the coil should test at. I have found that most of the coils I have tested in the past that tested good... were actually bad and didn't work

I even had a very expensive coil tester that we used to use and 9 out of 10 coils would test wrong.

I have found out that in most cases the only real way to test if a coil is good or bad is to replace the coils with a new coil.

I understand that this method seams like a "Backyard mechanic's way of fixing things, but in this particular instance, I feel it is the best way to go.

Make sure that you replace the diode that goes between the coils, too.

This diode causes a lot of trouble, sometimes.

I wish I had a better response for you, but in my 44 years in business owning a very large Lawn Mower Sales and Service business, I have not found a better way to test these ignition coils. Trying to test them seems to be a waste of time a lot of the time.

Please let me know what you finally fine the problem to be.

ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience: Owner of Large Small engine repair business. Over 44 years. Certified both 2-cycle and 4-cycle engines