Tim JA
Tim JA, Engine Rebuilder
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have a Hayter Harrier 56 Intek Edge OHV mower. It cannot

I have a Hayter Harrier 56 Intek Edge OHV mower. It cannot hold full throttle, it throttles back and makes clunking sound at low throttle. If it does hold full throttle, as soon as it goes into forward drive it throttles back when cutting. What do you think the problem is please?
JA: What's the brand and model of your lawn mower? How old is it?
Customer: Hayter Harrier 56 Intek Edge OHV mower, recently bought on ebay so age unknown, can send an image if it helps
JA: How long has this been going on with your lawn mower? What have you tried so far?
Customer: worked fine for about 2 weeks then got progressively worse
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i've run it on standard unleaded petrol, assuming this to be ok

Good afternoon, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

I suspect the problem is an air supply restriction, and/or too rich a mixture. However, given that you don't know its service history, I would immediately book it for a service. Get all the basics sorted out and eliminated, and then test the mower to see how it behaves.

If you're thinking of doing the work yourself, here's a page with lots of data for the Harrier 56 models:

https://www.shouldersofshoreham.co.uk/hayter-diagrams/hayter-harrier-56
_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

You might see automated adverts for phone support. I'm not available for a phone call today, but we can continue via this Q&A topic.