Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have a tractor mower powered by briggs/stratton 12.5/72h

I have a tractor mower powered by briggs/stratton 12.5/72h starter has been making a grinding noise for a year and difficulut to start now this year fully charged battery the starter does nothing any suggestions
JA: Who makes your tractor?
Customer: eden park
JA: How long has this been going on with your tractor? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the problem started about a year ago got harder to start and a loud grinding noise then all of a sudden it springs to life but this year nothing. and all I have done is to fully charge the battery
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: tractor has been serviced every couple of years and is about 15 years old

Battery voltage at least 12.5 volts? Are you getting this to the starter solenoid where the positive cable attaches? Can you jump the two cable terminals on the solenoid? Engine should spin, if not you have a battery, cables, or bad starter. This ties the battery direct to the starter.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
many thanks will try this at the weekend I have a feeling that I now have a bad starter are briggs starter all standard models

Not all starters are alike, need to find the model number from the blower housing on the engine, number is ***** into the metal near the spark plug end.