Tim JA
Tim JA, Engine Rebuilder
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have a Hawksmoor lawnmower with. Briggs and Stratton

Hi. I have a Hawksmoor lawnmower with. Briggs and Stratton engine. When on the engine is billowing white smoke
JA: What's the brand and model of your lawn mower? How old is it?
Customer: i think it’s been tipped on it’s side my my idiot husband. it’s a hawksmoor 125cc with Briggs & Stratton engine. Less than a year old
JA: How long has this been going on with your lawn mower? What have you tried so far?
Customer: its really just today. I’ve not wanted to use it in case I screw up the engine. I’m not technically minded
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no I don’t think so. Looking at the manual I think there may be oil in the air filter but don’t know if I can fix that myself

Good evening, and welcome to the Technical section in Just Answer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear of your mower problem.   To be fair, some maintenance tasks require the mower to be on its side.

When was the mower last used without the white smoke?  Was it before the winter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was used a few weeks ago. I will be honest, I took the filter out, cleaned it and wipes round the inside. It smoked for a bit then seemed ok.

It has stopped smoking then I would say you've already cured it.  If you want to thoroughly clean the filter, then soak it in a product like the following, or replace the filter:

https://www.wynns.eu/product/air-intake-carburettor-cleaner/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks so much for getting back to me. Much appreciated

You're welcome.  I'm glad that I could be of help. Let me know if any follow-up questions arise.