Tim JA
Tim JA, Engine Rebuilder
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have an xr2100 briggs and stratton 420cc engine it starts

Customer Question

i have an xr2100 briggs and stratton 420cc engine it starts on choke but then dies as i try to idle the engine
JA: Do you know the model of your Briggs & Stratton engine? How old is it?
Customer: 250000 its 3 years old
JA: How long has this been going on with your Briggs & Stratton engine? What have you tried so far?
Customer: about 3 weeks, i have new fuel, new oil new spark plug, cleaned the carb and fuel tank and fuel line ?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i dont know? i have read there are some problems with the carburettors ?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
the model reference is 25T237-0036-H5
Expert:  Tim JA replied 16 days ago.

Good evening, and welcome to the Technical section in Just Answer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear of your mower problem. So that I can give you the best assistance, I need to ask some questions.

1. When was the mower last serviced?
2. When was it last running without this fault?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It was serviced in April, and the fault started mid may after it was run dry , I have cleaned the carb, new fuel and oil, cleaned the fuel tank and fuel line
Expert:  Tim JA replied 16 days ago.
The symptoms do suggest a fuel problem.  Cleaning the carb can mean different things to different people, so can you be specific about what you did to it?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Dismantled, cleaned all jets pipes and float and chamber
Expert:  Tim JA replied 16 days ago.

Dying on idle does suggest a blocked idle jet, and normally that would mean cleaning or replacing the jet, and you've already done the former.   As long as you didn't use anything metallic to clean the jets, then I'd say you've done all the right things.

Does the engine still die in this way with the air filter removed?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I will try that next
Expert:  Tim JA replied 16 days ago.

I'll await your news.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
it still died on idle ? do i need a new carb ?
Expert:  Tim JA replied 16 days ago.

Considering the fairly low price of a carb, that idea is appealing.

Out of curiosity, does the engine rev happily? Is it only at idle speed that it does?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
it revs perfectly,so as soon as revs are dropping it dies, so I think a new carb will fix whatever is the problem got me foxed
Expert:  Tim JA replied 15 days ago.

Is the new plug correctly gapped?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
at .76mm as stated in the handbook, i think i will just buy a new carb, thanks for your help
Expert:  Tim JA replied 15 days ago.

You're welcome.  I'm sorry that there was no quick and easy answer.  I'll be interested to hear the outcome when you fit the new carb.