Tim JA
Tim JA, Engine Rebuilder
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have a hedge trimmer. Although I;ve had it for some time

Customer Question

I have a hedge trimmer. Although I;ve had it for some time it has hardly been used. The battery is charging, but the trimmer isn’t working. I tried replacing the trimmer head with the branch cutter and it doesn’t work either, so not related to the attachment.
JA: What's the brand and model of your hedge trimmer? How old is it?
Customer: It’s a couple of years old. HT20
JA: How long has this been going on with your hedge trimmer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It hasn’t been working for ages, but haven’t had time to research who to contact.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of. Last time it was used was with the branch cutter attachment.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Tim JA replied 11 days ago.

Good evening, and welcome to the Technical section in Just Answer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear of your hedge trimmer problem.

When a cordless tool has had little use for a long time, it usually results in the battery failing. The simple solution to that is to buy a new battery.

Some useful information for increasing battery lifespan is here:

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

When reading that, if the battery has been subjected to a different pattern of charging, and state of charge when idle, then it pretty much confirms that the battery is no longer working.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The battery is showing as fully charged. It has a test button, and that lights up fully.
Expert:  Tim JA replied 11 days ago.

Hm.  I take your point, but I've had batteries that appear to show a full charge, but that provide almost no power.  The difference in your case appears to be that the battery provides zero power, ergo the tool could be faulty.

As a suggestion, you could buy the following item very cheaply, and eliminate the battery from suspicion.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175370020204