Ashik
Ashik, Smartphone Tech
Experience:  Experience with iPhone and other Smartphones
16433418

When I backed up WhatsApp data of my iPhone to Icloud, it

Customer Question

When I backed up WhatsApp data of my iPhone to Icloud, it looked like it was being backed up due to the progress info. It seemed successful. However, when I checked my icloud drive, the WhatsApp back up was not there. Anyway, disappointed, I checked what was taking up space in my cloud where it showed each thing's space take up, like documents, pictures, video etc. However, I saw whatspp also is taking up space of like 200 MB! But there was no way in iPhone nor in the icloud web on computer to check how to get into that part of the internet to see the contents. So, from this has, WhatsApp been backed up or what? and if so, how to get access to the backup? or is it gone forever? On a separate note, it my iPhone mentioned that I have not backed up my phone in 158 days. Does it mean that the initial WhatsApp back up that I did on the icloud did not work?? (I did that only 3 days ago and this no back up notice came today). If so, how come when I checked what the cloud space is taking up, it says WhatsApp is taking up 200MB?
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

On your iPhone, open Settings > your name > iCloud > Backup and what is the backup date there?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Hi there, Without the information requested in my first/previous response, I can only give you a general answer, but I hope this helps.

WhatsApp database will be backed up to iCloud if you have iCloud Backup enabled. However, you can't browse this backup from iCloud or your iPhone to see the contents. However, if you have access to a computer there, then you can use third party backup explorer application to browse the backups. Please refer this article --> https://www.imyfone.com/ios-data-recovery/does-icloud-backup-whatsapp-messages/

Re the backup message you received, please do the following

Open Settings > you name at the top> iCloud > Backup and do a backup there. This will backup your iPhone.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please please let me know by replying in here and I will stay with you and try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Ashik! Thank you. The back up date was yesterday. But I deleted WhatsApp from my phone already last week. Does this mean that the yesterday's backup has NOT backed up whatspp from before?? In other words it has backed up the phone without the WhatsApp now? But when I checked the storage contents of icloud, it still shows that "WhatsApp messenger" has 5.2 GB taking up space. So, what do you think?? Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also, about your comment:"However, you can't browse this backup from iCloud or your iPhone to see the contents".
How come iPhone allows backup but doesn't allow you to see the contents??
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Hi there, That is correct. The Yesterday's backup has not backed up WhatsApp or at least this is how backup works normally. It doesn't do cumulative backups like Mac's Time Machine. Not sure why the iCloud is showing 5.2GB for WhatsApp since you deleted it. It may take some time to update the backup details

WhatsApp may also store a local backup on your iPhone though, but deleting the WhatsApp will also delete that backup.

These backups are in a format that you can't read individuals things normally like you see the files in Photos app, Messages etc. These are database files which can only be restored as a whole to the WhatsApp and then can read by it. The third party apps like the one I sent you can read the individual items on the back up though.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Ashik,
Regarding your comment below:
"Not sure why the iCloud is showing 5.2GB for WhatsApp since you deleted it. It may take some time to update the backup details"I am so afraid of putting that phone online now in case it backs up the phone without the whatsapp LOL! I realize that you provided the third party app, thank you for that. I will talk about that later. But for now, what would be a way to save what is left of the 5.2 GB before it finally disappears??And about the 3rd party app, if it reads my content, is it safe?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Hi there, It will eventually overwrite old backup with a new one. So you should try to extract your backup using the backup explorer application I sent you ASAP.

Regarding safety, these are third party apps and you need to access iCloud through their websites. So you should read their privacy policies first and see what data they collect. However, that is the only option you have now though. After that process, you can change your iCloud password.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if I put the phone online will it back up data without the whatsapp? Do I continue to keep it offline?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

If you put your phone online, then it will make an updated backup. Old backup will be replaced with new contents. There is a chance of deleting the old deleted apps' data as well on the new backup. If you want to restore the backup, then either you need to use the third party applications or you need to reinstall WhatsApp. After reinstalling, open WhatsApp and it will give the option to restore from iCloud