Cris
Cris, Computer Expert
Experience:  Android and iPhone Specialist. Knowledge of rooting, flashing, and troubleshooting many devices.
10156100

My samsung s7 edge is broken, the battery is disconnected,

Customer Question

hello - my samsung s7 edge is broken, the battery is disconnected, but there shouldn't be anything wrong with the mother board, how can I get all of my data off it?
JA: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Galaxy?
Customer: i'm not sure
JA: How long has this been going on with your Galaxy? What have you tried so far?
Customer: basically it froze last week and wouldn't turn back on, i stupidly tried taking the battery out myself, broke the wire that connects it to the mother board and therefore unless i get a new battery it won't turn on. But i have a new phone so i just want to get all of the data off my old phone.
JA: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Cris replied 7 days ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com I am Cris. Sorry to hear about your issue I will do my best to answer your question.

Expert:  Cris replied 7 days ago.

Your issue is not that simple. If you have damaged the phone by cutting the cable then it will require a higher level experience to "maybe" get the phone working. Since there could be soldering involved or possibly more.

Not sure what kind of data you are trying to retrieve from the phone. But contacts, calendar and email should all sync with your Gmail account. If you were using Google Photos the photos would have synced and be accessible from Google Photos from another smartphone or just about any device. Also, Samsung has there own Backup/Restore which if you signed into the service with Samsung account. Then on a new "Samsung" phone you are prompted to sign into it when setting up the phone and can restore the last backup.

Samsung will not cover any repairs done by the user. But you could also call them to see what they would do or charge to repair the phone then you can retrieve your data. That could also be another alternative for you if you did not any sync or backup setup on your phone.

I hope this helps answer your question. If you have any further questions I will be glad to answer them. Thank you, Cris.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have had a technician fit a new battery, but the battery he used was from another old phone so unlikely to work anyway. All I want is to plug the phone into a laptop and retrieve photos etc that's stored on the phone. I notice you can do this using android extraction tool for most phones but S7 edge is not listed.
Expert:  Cris replied 7 days ago.

To use it your it requires your phone have power so it must be turned on.