Jason Jones
Jason Jones, Computer Technician
Experience:  10+ years of work experience.
30759776

I have Outlook as part of a Microsoft Office package running

I have Outlook as part of a Microsoft Office package running on Windows 8. Since a recent update it keeps on freezing and then the pc crashes requesting a reboot. "outlook is not responding" is in the top bar. AVG is fully updated and no viruses reported. The remainder of the office programmes are working normally as is the rest of the pc. Any thoughts?
Philip
Hi,I'm sorry about the issue. Was it windows update? Does this issue only occur when using Outlook program?Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?Please reply at the box below. Thank you,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Viet I would not want a total stranger access to my pc I'm afraid. Philip
I'm sorry. With remote support, you can see everything I do on the screen, and we have an A+ service rating at the Better Business Bureau website:http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/professional-services-general/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403Remote support is quicker and easier for you as I will do all the troubleshooting steps for you. Otherwise, I will provide written instructions per your request. Does this issue only occur when using Outlook program?Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The issue only occurs with outlook. Philip
Thank you. Please try this first troubleshooting: Press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type rstrui then click OK, then the System Restore window will open, then click on Next, then restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred, and check. Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Before I do this will I loose work and emails that are subsequent to the date as I may have to go back a few days?
No, system restore does not affect your work or emails or any data file of yours, so don't worry. You can bookmark / add to favorites this web page and/or log in your email in your email website (if there is one) later in order to get back to me at this web page. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I'm talking to you from my tablet so I can keep this session going for the time being.
Great. Yes, please keep this web page open on your tablet, so you can communicate with me. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its not letting me do this. It says no system restore points have been created and takes me to system protection. What should I do here?
I'm sorry. Please right-click on Start (which is the windows logo icon at the bottom left), then click on Control Panel. Then open Programs / Programs and Features, then click on View installed updates on the left, then type/search for the item KB3097877 and uninstall it, and restart the computer when prompted, then check. Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In the window "confirm your restore point" it doesn't give me an option to input a date. It is present to the latest event which was 10 minutes ago?
You check check the box Show more restore points at the bottom to see if there is any more older dates. If that does not work, please right-click on Start (which is the windows logo icon at the bottom left), then click on Control Panel. Then open Programs / Programs and Features, then click on View installed updates on the left, then type/search for the item KB3097877 and uninstall it, and restart the computer when prompted, then check Outlook. Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We've just removed that programme!! This gave me access to system restore but there are no other date options other then 22.05 14/11/15
Sorry, no, do not access / do not open System Restore again. After removing the item KB3097877, then just open Outlook per my previous instructions and see if it works fine now. Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Outlook is working 80% ie a little slow but also some features not working such as the auto complete in the address bar. This is checked in the mail options but not working.
Please check that the KB3097877 item is not there any more. Then shut down / restart the computer, then check. Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I restarted the pc KB3097877 was re installed were you expecting that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And the problem is back the pc has frozen again!
Sorry, please restart, then please go to Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update, then Change settings on the left, then for Important updates, click on option Check for updates but let me choose.., then click OK at bottom, then uninstall KB3097877 again, then restart the compute and check. Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK how will I know which updates to install when advised?
Is Outlook working now? The issue is that Microsoft has issued a buggy update KB3097877 that causes Outlook issue. We just need to wait for Microsoft to fix. For now, just disable that update.Please go to Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update, then click on Check for updates on the left, then View updates, then right-click on the update KB3097877 and Hide it, then you can install any other update.Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK done all that. Any ideas about auto complete in the address bar?
When did address bar autocomplete last working? What's your Office / Outlook version, i.e., 2007, 2010, 2013, etc.? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Stopped working yesterday. 2013
Please check athttp://www.msoutlook.info/question/53Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No this doesn't help. The feature is checked but isn't working.
Sorry, can you try in Outlook:File-> Options-> section: Add-InsAt the bottom of the dialog press the button “Go…”Scroll down the list until you find “Outlook Change Notifier” and disable it.Press OK to confirm and close the dialog., then close Outlook, and check.Reference: http://www.msoutlook.info/question/509Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't think these problems are fixed yet screen frozen again! but I want to go to bed now. Can we resume in the morning?
I'm sorry. Yes, we can continue tomorrow. Tomorrow, can you try this:- Close Outlook, then press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type:outlook /safe, then click OK, then go toFile-> Options-> section: Add-InsAt the bottom of the dialog press the button “Go…”Then disable all add-ins, then OK, close Outlook.Then open Outlook normally and check.- If that still does not work, go to the website below,http://nirsoft.net/utils/outlook_nk2_edit.html, then scroll down to the bottom, then download the file nk2edit_setup.exe, then run it, then export the AutoComplete entries to an .nk2 file, in Outlook, go to File -> Options - Mail -> Empty Auto-Complete List, and confirm, then close Outlook, thenPress at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type:%AppData%, then click OK., then open folder Microsoft, then open folder Outlook.Then copy the exported .nk2 you did previously to the Outlook folder.Note: The .nk2 file must have the same name as your current Outlook profile. (By default, the profile name is “Outlook.”; if needed, re-name the exported .nk2 to match the outlook profile name; usually it is named outlook.nk2)Press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type:outlook /importnk2, then click OK.Then it will import autocomplete entries.Then check.(Some more information http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/email/understanding-outlooks-autocomplete-cache-nk2/).Please reply back at this web page tomorrow to continue. Thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Outlook appears to be working much better now and has not crashed again. The auto complete is now working but only with addresses used today I have lost all the old ones but can live with that it will soon build up again.
The key will be how it performs tomorrow with normal business use. So can I contact you again in a couple of days to sign off?
Thanks for your help so far. Philip
You're welcome. Great. Yes, of course, you can always get back to me if there is still any issue. Please confirm in a couple of days or whenever you have tried with normal business use. Thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Viet
Worked Ok this morning for the first two hours until I sent an email with attachments (PDF and Windows viewer) then it crashed telling me not enough memory and couldn't make certain data connections. It took several attempts to get it going and to send the email without the windows viewer attachments.
I conclude from this that Outlook is using up too much memory to function properly. Any thoughts? Philip
What's the total size of the attachment files? Can you restart the computer, then test sending a small attachment file and check? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There were 6 attachments this morning totalling 3MB. I have just sent myself an email with one attachment of 445KB and it has worked fine. Philip
Did you have many programs running previously? Maybe it was just a glitch; usually, restarting would work. Can you now test sending a few attachments to yourself and check? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
4MB email worked OK. I have to work out what is happening at the time it crashes. I think I had one other application open at the time. This PC is only a year old and has loads of RAM. However Outlook has a lot of files with stored attachments. Is there a limit to the size of Outlook and if so what can I do to reduce? Philip
You can check the file size of your outlook .pst file, though usually it should not have a problem as the limit is high:http://www.msoutlook.info/question/99, but check your free disk space of the C: drive; the more it has, the better. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
787GB free out of 931GB I will continue to monitor. Philip
OK. Tomorrow, at work, restart the computer, then try again. Thank you.
Also, if there is issue with any other program, please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Viet - I'm afraid we are back to square one in fact worse!! Outlook won't open. The window comes up and then freezes the whole PC. It was fine yesterday until I tried to cut and paste an address from an email - then it crashed. All other applications work OK It is just outlook and its interface with some functions especially cut and paste or attachments.
I am prepared to give you remote access as I guess that will be the only way to resolve the issue. Clearly I need to be at my PC when we do this. I am away from 4.30 until 1.00pm tomorrow and then at my PC until 3.30pm tomorrow otherwise Sunday. Can you help? Philip
I will be the person helping you today.
I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help.
May I ask if you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem?
Once the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate via a chat window on your computer.
Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jason - Can we agree a time on Sunday to do this? 10.00am would suit me. Philip
Hi Philip,
We can agree on that time. When you are available and ready to begin, please post a message on this page.
Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok confirmed. I presume I must accept the offer above before the session?
The outlook issues seem to be around opening up Outlook which is when it freezes. Philip
Yes, that is correct. After you accept the offer, the remote link will be posted here.
- Jason
Jason Jones, Computer Technician
Experience: 10+ years of work experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Morning Jason I have accepted the offer and now waiting for you. Philip
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jason - we did agree 10.00am it's now 10.20am do I need to wait mush longer? Philip
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So its now 11.00 am. Time wasted! Please book another time otherwise I want a refund. Philip
Hello Philip,
I apologize for the confusion. It is 9:38am right now. I am in California.
Please, post a message when you are ready to begin.
I will be online and available for the next 12 hours.
Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK Jason I am now at my PC! It is 19.22 UK time. Philip
Follow the instructions below to begin the remote helping screen.
Remote page: http://remote.jasonfixedit.com
After clicking the link above, enter the following two digit number: 12 and click the circle button to start the remote application.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have done that now. Are you reading me?
I am not connected for some reason.
Are you having any problems with running that remote application after it is downloaded?
Which Internet browser are you currently using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or something of the like)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Google chrome. I could swap to Internet Explorer if that helps?
Yes, please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry - I don't seem to be able to access you by Explorer. I don't have user name and pass word! Should I try again but switch AVG firewall off pro temps?
What are you using a username or password *****? You don't have to sign into anything. You simply, need to enter the number 12 in the box on that page and click the circle button.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The email link takes me to your web page and this session through Chrome not Explorer. I copied and pasted the above address bar onto Explorer and it asked me for a user name and password.
I don't know what you are copying. Go to http://remote.jasonfixedit.com
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK I have done that and pressed run and seems to have frozen on 'joining my session..'
I am sorry to hear that. Let's try another option, shall we?
Please, click this link: http://tinyurl.com/teamviewerJason
- Download and run that file.
- It will give you an ID & password.
Please, give me both of the ID and password.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ID -###-##-####Password ***** 9956
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fingers crossed for when work begins tomorrow! I'll let you know. Philip
Thank you. I look forward to your response, if needed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jason Hope you are well. I'm afraid the same problem has come back. I can't launch Outlook now. I have identified the offending file which is an excel attachment but looks like add ins have caused the problem and I don't know how to fix. Can you help again? Philip
Hi Philip,
Please, let me know when you are ready to continue. I will send another remote link.
- Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi jason - I'm ready now. Also when you are doing it can you look why auto complete in the address bar stops working. Once Outlook is closed when it re opens the auto complete memory is lost and I have to start again! Philip
After clicking the link above, enter the following two digit number: 50 and click the circle button to start the remote application.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Firewall has blocked it!!??
Ok. Try again and allow it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have changed to both interactive and disabled but still no joy. Just a page full of code! this happened last time so we went via Team Viewer. Philip
- Download and run that file.
- It will give you an ID & password.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ID 222 825 824
Password *****
Thank you. -
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Back On
Thank you. If you have any problems in the future, please let me know.
- Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jason sorry hadn't realised the screen had frozen so back on now
I am connected. -
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK back on again now
After clicking the link above, enter the following two digit number: 15 and click the circle button to start the remote application.
The first option doesn't work. Click the "Next option" link on the page and run that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are we connected?
Thank you. --
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So here we are again!
Please, run the remote app again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK back again
What are the results after rebooting the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It didn't reboot but office said "good to go" but haven't yet tried opening outlook.
Please, reboot and try opening Outlook.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry no joy outlook still froze on launch!
At this point, I am not sure what was done this morning. During the remote session, you let me know that all was working until you had an issue with an Excel (XLSM) file. Truthfully, this issue is a new issue that was created when you opened that faulted document and chose to ran it. The site doesn't allow me to work on issues that are not related to the original problem. I thought that it was part of the original problem until you mentioned that it all began as a result of that XLSM file. I am sorry to say, but if you wish to continue working on this new problem with me, you will have to create a new question at the following page: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/computer/expert-computertechmaster/
I will be standing by,
Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jason - I am happy to do that but I do believe that the original problem was created when I opened the xlms file for the first time about a month ago. It was attached to an email I received about a month ago but it was only on opening the xlsm file for a second time this morning did I reckon that this might be the offending article. What would you like to do? Philip
Hello Philip,So the problem began one month ago when you opened that file and it began again this morning when you opened it? - Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is what I am thinking but in truth I don't know as the issues have only revolved around outlook but it is a coincidence that nonetheless. Philip
The same problem occurred at two different times when the document was ran. I suggest that it is no coincidence. I hope you understand. If your car tire required repair after running over a nail, the tire repairman cannot be held responsible for you running over that nail again in the future. How do you wish to continue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I do want to continue as I need the problem sorting and I appreciate your time. I will get my credit card and create a new question. Philip
Thank you, sir.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure what's going on now because the link under your name took me to the solicitors section?
I don't understand what you are referring to. Which "solicitors section" did it send you to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just answer - solicitors - should I start again?
That is confusing. It should go to my profile page: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/computer/expert-computertechmaster/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Struggling! If I go to your profile and ask you a question it takes me to the lawyers section. I then opened a new page and went to the computer section and asked the question but your profile doesn't come up. Thoughts? Philip
It may be a bit misleading, but after you ask the question, it should be sent to me.