jhannell, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Experience in Windows environment. ASP, Visual Basic, Ajax

I have an old XPpro laptop, with 3 'accounts' but one is password

I have an old XPpro laptop, with 3 'accounts' but one is password *****
Is there any software I can use to unlock this account? It belongs to a member of our family who has forgotten the password.

hello sir/madam,

is one of those 3 accounts administrator?

if yes, you need to login from that account, and then go to control panel > user accounts

and find the username you are having problems with, and then from there you will be able to change the pasword

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's the administrator account which is password ***** If I go in through one of the other accounts, and try to change the admin password, I get the message:

You are removing the password ***** Name. If you do this, Name will lose all EFS-encrypted files, personal certificates and stored passwords for Web sites or network resources......etc etc.

Does this matter?

you can change the password

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, thanks, ***** ***** just losing website passwords that's no problem.

In the meantime, Control Panel has disappeared, and it's not on the Desktop.

How do I locate Control Panel again? Selecting Start gives me a choice of Programs/System/Command Prompt/Run/Exit/Password ***** but the last option doesn't link to anything.