JamesI
JamesI, Other
Experience:  James has used and supported a wide range of software from CAD, Microsoft, Accounting and EPOS.
75967336

I have a home network in which I can (used to be able) to

I have a home network in which I can (used to be able) to back up files to a USB hard drive attached to my Plusnet router.
This stopped working one day and as far as I can tell from the error messages and internet research, it may be because Windows 10 stopped supporting SMB v1.
I can try getting Plusnet to upgrade their router firmware, though I doubt if they would, or I could revert Windows 10 to SMB v1, when they say it's not very secure (hence the upgrade). Is there a third option which doesn't involve spending hundreds of pounds on NAS storage?

Hi Allan, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

You could connect to the router directly and see if there is a firmware update available for SMB v2 support, if there isnt you have two options.

1. Replace router with one which does support DLNA for windows 10

2. Find a DLNA adaptor which you plug into your router LAN and USB hard disk.

I would keep away from trying to reinstall SMB v1 on windows 10, the two options above would be no more than £60, and if you talk to Plusnet might be able to get a free router upgrade.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I connected to the router directly and couldn't see any option that allowed ME to initiate a firmware update - perhaps Plusnet do it when it suits them. I'll try to get a sensible chat with them about that possibility (and whether they have moved to the new Samba).
I like the router, mainly for it's good wireless range, so your option 1 I wouldn't rule out, but it might be a last resort.
Option 2 sounds good - or are you saying that I would need to do both. Would DLNA look exactly the same from Windows 10, ie I'd see the disk as one of my network devices, without having to set up anything special - is there any way I can use DLNA right now on Windows 10?

If you went for option 2 you wouldnt need to change the router.

DLNA is just a network protocol aimed more at streaming content, but any device which offers DLNA will provide the ability to view network storage, as you mentioned in terms of it appears as a new drive in Explorer.

As NAS have come down in price there dont seem to be too many USB to NAS\DLNA adaptors though. I will keep looking to see if I can find one for you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Did you manage to find one?

Hi Allan,

This one here should work with windows 10.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Looks good. So as I understand it, I would plug the USB disk into it on one side, and the other side attaches to the router via a LAN cable. Is that correct?
Also, I can't see any mention of DLNA. Is there a risk that I would end up with SMB v1 in this device as well?

From looking at the specs it does support SMB v3.

It doesnt support DLNA from what I can tell but runs the required network file sharing service you need.

There is a detailed Microsoft article about this here, in essence Microsoft are assuming everyone will go and use the cloud, and havent made a great deal of provision around SMB2 and SMB3, though it should work. Due to the threat from rasnsomware etc I wouldnt look to enable SMB1.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
OK thanks! So now I just give you a star rating, and the payment is taken?
PS I spoke to Plusnet and they say they only roll out firmware upgrades globally, when they're happy that no one will be negatively affected (understandably). They couldn't tell me whether any similar problems had been reported or whether an SMB upgrade was on the way.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Sorry, I'm just thinking about buying your suggested adaptor to solve the SMB problem - but wouldn't Windows 10 still 'see' the SMB v1 in the router BEFORE seeing the SMB v3 or whatever in the adaptor, and so would still not acknowledge the existence of the disk?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
If I were to buy a suitable router instead, maybe that is my only reliable option, in which case I'd like one with a good range.

Hi as you would have removed the USB from the plusnet router the fireshare SMB v1 on the router would be disabled, however say you had two USB devices (one on plusnet router and one on this new device) you would have two devices shown on your device.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I see. That's very helpful. One non-technical question - has no-one else asked you about problems caused by the loss of SMB v1 from W10?Can't think of any other questions now, so I'll take the plunge and buy the adaptor.

No, most customers use the cloud so have not encountered this issue. Alot of customers still using windows 8.1, as machines get hold and customers upgrade I am sure it will be more of a challenge.

Should you still have issues after upgrading then you can manually add the network drive if using SMB 2 or 3 following the instructions here.

Do come back to me if you have any further questions.

So I may resolve the case please rate the service received using the star rating on this page.