Divyansh Pagaria
Divyansh Pagaria, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Applications Expert
102882208

Populate excel cells from centre cell coordinate x0,y0 to

Customer Question

populate excel cells from centre cell coordinate x0,y0 to coordinates x-140, x+140 and y-140 and i+140 to, x+115 and y-140 to y+140.
JA: What application are you using?
Customer: excel 360
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: auto updates
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to populate cells with cartesian style coordinates in the range above so that each cell would have a reference such as x-10,y0, X-10, Y+1 etc representing position relative to the middle cell X0,Y0 on the X and Y quadrants
Category: Software
Expert:  Divyansh Pagaria replied 16 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer Tech Support. Thank you for posting your question. My name is ***** ***** I'll be working with you.

• You can use the Offset formula. 

• It starts by defining the initial cell, followed by the coordinates of the destination cell. 

Let me know if this helps you achieve your goal.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks Divyansh for your quick response. I had a look at that function and can figure out how it could be used to reference existing ranges and then perform some action on the cell values. I am not sure how I would use it to achieve my desired result. Lets say my reference point within a cartesian style grid quadrant is Cell GS201 That would allow me to plot coordinates 200 cells to the left and the top of the excel spread sheet similarly to the right and bottom.
Assuming GS201 was coordinate [x0,y0] the next cell to the right of it would be [x1,y0] and the cell immediately to the left would be [x-1,y0].What I am trying to achieve is to populate every cell in the Cell range A1:OJ401. A grid of 401x401 cells with the relative coordinates to the reference cell GS201. I could input them by hand (160,801 cells). I guess I would be good at data entry after that. Hoping to automate at least some of this process if possible. I am imagining (hoping) there is a way of the active cell I am in returning a value that I could display in a coordinate format within the cell.

Can you explain using a sample file?

It appears as though you are not available. However, I am following up to check if you need any additional information.

Note: I endeavor to offer excellent service. I am here to assist you until all your questions are answered.

Much thanks to you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Divyansh, Here is a spreadsheet to give an example of what I want to achieve. Go to cell GS201
note I was one row out the finished sheet would be 401 rows deep and 401 columns across but for now I think you can see what I am after
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The format could be changed if necessary ie -3,0 -2,0 -1,0 0,0 0,1 0,2 0,3 etc

Allow me a moment to check this.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
opps I think my starting point moved to OK201 but otherwise radiating out form the centre cell
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have to go to bed its 2:00 am down here in Australia. Will check my mail in the morning thanks

I understand you would like to add the subsequent (x,y) coordinates. Is that correct?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
that is correct. I would like to have an overall square grid area of 401x401 cells. Each cell would have an xy coordinate placed inside referencing the [0,0] cell in the middle where the x and y axis meets.

The autofill feature can achieve this task. Select a series of cells within a row and click the small dot at the bottom right corner of the highlighted range. Drag the mouse to the bottom to release where you want to stop. Let me know if this helps.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
thats how I was doing it, I was hoping there might have been a more efficient way. LOL. thanks anyway though.

I do not think there is a more efficient way to do it. Even if you use a formula, you will need to autofill the formula to all the cells.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
the problem with that is also it only works where the digits to the right of the cell change. It wont increment if the leading digits change but the rightmost digits are constant

Do not use auto-fill on rows. Use it only on the columns. Please type the first two values manually and then drag them down until you reach your desired range.

If you are on a computer, I can connect to your device and work with you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
okay I think I am following - I'll give that a try

Let me know if you would like to connect. Thank you.