How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask inciteadvisor Your Own Question
inciteadvisor, Lawyer
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 795
Experience:  Registered Corporate lawywer
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
inciteadvisor is online now

My relative who is British has died

Customer Question

My relative who is British has died leaving me a UK resident money in his will what is the situation regarding the transfer of that money to myself in the UK
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  touchwoodsden replied 4 years ago.
Did he live outside of the UK?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He was 86 suffered from Parkinson's disease, moved permanently to South Africa two years ago having British nationality with the intention of spending his remaining days with his family and died on 22 March 2013.

He had no property just money in the ABSA bank of South Africa which were partly savings and partly proceeds from the sale of property.

Expert:  touchwoodsden replied 4 years ago.
So what problem are you trying to ask about?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He has never lived outside the UK apart from a short stay in South Africa some years ago .Will there be any problems getting the money to my bank in UK and what is the tax situation.

Expert:  touchwoodsden replied 4 years ago.

I'm going to transfer this question to UK tax

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You have not answered my question . Please clarify my position.. When can I expect an answer?

Expert:  touchwoodsden replied 4 years ago.
I have asked for it to be transferred to UK tax. It is out of my hands
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did not ask the UK inland revenue to provide an answer .I am paying you to provide an answer .If you cannot I demand a refund.This is taking money under false pretense.

Are you saying albeit in a roundabout way that my liability of tax is to the UK then can I take it that that is your answer?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.


Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can either return your good faith deposit to the original funding source, or we can keep your deposit on your account here for future questions.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,