How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JW Fourie Your Own Question
JW Fourie
JW Fourie, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 15603
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
JW Fourie is online now

Good afternoon I have two of my late brother's daughters in

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon
I have two of my late brother's daughters in South Africa and I'm residing in the UK.since both their parents have died I wish to be a legal guardian for them and to bring them to live with me here in UK. Their ages is 18 and 12. I know age 18 is regarded as an adult but she is still at school please advice me what to do.
Thank you
Minah Ramaboa
You are correct about the 18 year old. She does not need a legal guardian and if the UK authorities says it is fine, you can take her over to England. She will be able to apply for her own passport and visa and would not need your legal assistance. Meaning, she would not need the permission of her guardian to take the above actions.

For the 12 year old, you have a couple of options. Which one you are going to take will depend on what makes it easier for you to get the child into the UK and for that you need to speak to a UK immigration attorney.

The first option is to apply to the High Court for you to be appointed as the legal guardian of the child. You can appoint an attorney that specializes in family law and is resident in the same area as the child to bring the application on your behalf. It is not necessarily necesary for you to come to South Africa to do that, although the possibility cannot be discounted.

The other option is to do an inter country adoption. This is going to be a lot more red tape than the first option, but in the end it is going to be a lot easier for you (in my opinion) to get the child into the UK if you follow this option.

I am not sure if this answers your question. So if you have follow up questions before you rate, feel free to ask them at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the service, kindly rate it positively

JW Fourie and other South Africa Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I do this inter country adoption Is it to be done in the UK,does it take too long because they don't have good up bringing as they live with their old granny of 83yrs old
The process is to be initiated from the UK, yes.

See this.