JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

My lawyer facilitated the sale of my propert last year and

Customer Question

Hi my lawyer facilitated the sale of my propert last year and held back £7,000 as there was a potential boundary dispute. The other side where Given a time frame to resolve this, the time has expired, my solicitor has my money but is taking an age to pay me. I have sent repeated correspondence but all I get is empty promises. I need my money. What can I do ??
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 2 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question

I would first of all make a formal complaint to their client care partner who will deal with complaints. They will want to resolve the issue as they have to notify their professional indemnity insurers if they receive any complaint.

If they fail to resolve it for you, you can escalate to the Legal Ombudsman who will intervene and deal with the firm on your behalf. They also have the power to report the solicitors to the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) if the firm has unnecessarily withheld your money.

Regardless of the above if you wanted to you could send the firm a letter before action to demand repayment within 21 days. If they fail to give it to you, you can sue them in the small claims court online (www.moneyclaim.gov.uk) but I would try and go down the complaints procedure first.

I hope this helps. If you can accept the answer and give me a star rating, I can offer unlimited follow up Q&A's at no extra charge.

Kind regards,

Jim