How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Lawyer
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 5397
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I live in a South African life rights complex for retired

This answer was rated:

I live in a South African life rights complex for retired persons in Durbanville, Cape Town, called Rosehaven Gardens. I am a renter. The number of life rights residents is declining due to death or them leaving from time to time. At some point there will be only one left. Section 9(7)(b) of the Regulation R1351 of 1998 says that the minimum number of members who can constitute a quorum at a general meeting is 2. Hence, when there is only one left, or earlier, how can a life rights complex be converted into a rental complex?
Thank you for contacting
It was brought to our attention that you asked a legal question about South Africa Law, where we do not have active professionals. As much as we would like to assist you, we have to be honest and say that the best we can do is maybe to provide a legal Internet researcher who might be able to find your answer. We realize that option is not ideal, and we always want to provide our customers with the best possible answer.
At this time, we'd like to give you the option of leaving your question open. Keep in mind that you're never obliged to accept an answer that you're not satisfied with, and you can try it out before you accept. Or, we can close your question page for you, if you prefer.
Please let me know how you’d like to proceed,

Good afternoon, welcome to just  answer. I am a dual qualified lawyer and in your circumstances I would strngly recommend that you seek guidance from an attorney locally based in Capetown because it will not become a rental complex automatically, there will be need for conversion subject to agreement by the property owner - Freeholder.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to contact us. All the best .

SolicitorRM, Lawyer
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 5397
Experience: Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
SolicitorRM and other South Africa Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your response. I think you are correct.