SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Lawyer
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I live in a South African life rights complex for retired

I live in a South African life rights complex for retired persons in Durbanville, Cape Town, called Rosehaven Gardens. I am a renter. The number of life rights residents is declining due to death or them leaving from time to time. At some point there will be only one left. Section 9(7)(b) of the Regulation R1351 of 1998 says that the minimum number of members who can constitute a quorum at a general meeting is 2. Hence, when there is only one left, or earlier, how can a life rights complex be converted into a rental complex?
Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.co.uk.
It was brought to our attention that you asked a legal question about South Africa Law, where we do not have active professionals. As much as we would like to assist you, we have to be honest and say that the best we can do is maybe to provide a legal Internet researcher who might be able to find your answer. We realize that option is not ideal, and we always want to provide our customers with the best possible answer.
At this time, we'd like to give you the option of leaving your question open. Keep in mind that you're never obliged to accept an answer that you're not satisfied with, and you can try it out before you accept. Or, we can close your question page for you, if you prefer.
Please let me know how you’d like to proceed,
Alina-Moderator

Good afternoon, welcome to just  answer. I am a dual qualified lawyer and in your circumstances I would strngly recommend that you seek guidance from an attorney locally based in Capetown because it will not become a rental complex automatically, there will be need for conversion subject to agreement by the property owner - Freeholder.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to contact us. All the best .

SolicitorRM, Lawyer
Experience: Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your response. I think you are correct.