How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JW Fourie Your Own Question
JW Fourie
JW Fourie, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 15915
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
JW Fourie is online now

My husband passed in 2008 and the estate was wound up. Two

Customer Question

Hello, my husband passed in 2008 and the estate was wound up. Two years ago I was advised that there is an amount in Unclaimed benefits which is due but as he resigned from the company it has to be paid to him even though I am the executor. I need to open a bank account in his name but unfortunately I have mislaid his ID document. However I do have his Southern Rhodesia birth certificate and Rhodesian ID card. Will I be able to get an affidavit to confirm that it is him. Many thanks June Cole
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  JW Fourie replied 17 days ago.

Hi there.

I am a South African attorney acting as a consultant on the site. There may be a little bit of back and forth between us before I provide you with an answer and this may take some time. Just know that I will reply, normally within a couple of hours at most.

You may get an offer to call me. This offer is system generated. If you want to accept this offer, you are welcome to do so. It does speed things up a bit, but it is not necessary for you to accept. I am comfortable to complete your request whichever way you prefer.

The terms of service on the site does not allow me to represent you or refer you to a particular legal representative

Expert:  JW Fourie replied 17 days ago.

Was the estate reported in South Africa?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Expert:  JW Fourie replied 17 days ago.

Has the Master issued a certificate that released you from your duties as executor?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am not sure, my friend a CA did everything for me when she worked at Grindrod. I assume if that was required then she would have done it as she was one of a few qualified in estates in KZN
Expert:  JW Fourie replied 17 days ago.

The only way that you would be able to open a bank account is to re-open the estate. I recommend that you visit or come into contact with the Master's Office at Pietermaritzburg with a view to open the estate again and have the letters of executorship re-issued. Then taking it from there.

If you still struggle, then perhaps approach the Pension Fund Adjudicator for assistance. They act like an Ombudsman for pension funds and may be able to assist to get through the red tape

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Expert:  JW Fourie replied 17 days ago.

Only a pleasure