JW Fourie
JW Fourie, Attorney
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
32244620

My husband passed in 2008 and the estate was wound up. Two

Customer Question

Hello, my husband passed in 2008 and the estate was wound up. Two years ago I was advised that there is an amount in Unclaimed benefits which is due but as he resigned from the company it has to be paid to him even though I am the executor. I need to open a bank account in his name but unfortunately I have mislaid his ID document. However I do have his Southern Rhodesia birth certificate and Rhodesian ID card. Will I be able to get an affidavit to confirm that it is him. Many thanks June Cole
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  JW Fourie replied 17 days ago.

Hi there.

I am a South African attorney acting as a consultant on the site. There may be a little bit of back and forth between us before I provide you with an answer and this may take some time. Just know that I will reply, normally within a couple of hours at most.

You may get an offer to call me. This offer is system generated. If you want to accept this offer, you are welcome to do so. It does speed things up a bit, but it is not necessary for you to accept. I am comfortable to complete your request whichever way you prefer.

The terms of service on the site does not allow me to represent you or refer you to a particular legal representative

Expert:  JW Fourie replied 17 days ago.

Was the estate reported in South Africa?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Pietermaritzburg
Expert:  JW Fourie replied 17 days ago.

Has the Master issued a certificate that released you from your duties as executor?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am not sure, my friend a CA did everything for me when she worked at Grindrod. I assume if that was required then she would have done it as she was one of a few qualified in estates in KZN
Expert:  JW Fourie replied 17 days ago.

The only way that you would be able to open a bank account is to re-open the estate. I recommend that you visit or come into contact with the Master's Office at Pietermaritzburg with a view to open the estate again and have the letters of executorship re-issued. Then taking it from there.

If you still struggle, then perhaps approach the Pension Fund Adjudicator for assistance. They act like an Ombudsman for pension funds and may be able to assist to get through the red tape

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
THANK YOU
Expert:  JW Fourie replied 17 days ago.

Only a pleasure