How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask José M. Your Own Question
José M.
José M., Attorney
Category: Spain Law
Satisfied Customers: 6303
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
Type Your Spain Law Question Here...
José M. is online now

I bought a house in spain in 2004 and unfortunately my mother

Customer Question

I bought a house in spain in 2004 and unfortunately my mother died in 2012. I have paid my inheritance tax. I sold the house in January 2015. I took some bad advice at the time of probate as my solicitor told me to flog the car rather than put it through probate as it was worthless. My ex keyholders are driving the car and it is still in my mother's name. As I was working abroad and only returned this year, I basically forgot about the car. But I am still with the solicitors that I bought the house with (I did not do the probate with these solicitors) and my bills have been set up with them. I have noticed that I still pay car tax and know that if anything happens to the car eg, an accident, it will fall on me. How can I get rid of this car? Would it be best to have it destroyed?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Spain Law
Expert:  José M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there

José M spanish atorney
In this cases, as owner of the car, you must be carefull it has an insurance
If you are not sure make a basic insurance contract to get your back on safe
Another thing you can do is to write a letter to DGT telling who has the car and his persnal data, with that you do not get to stop paying taxes but in case of accident you have something better
You can no sell it out as you do not have it, you can no destroy it at dismantler for the same reason, and you can no denounce it as robbery at the police sttaion because it is a criminal action making falses denounces

So, make a cheap insurance and write to the DGT telling who has the car now
with their personal data

Thank you