How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask José M. Your Own Question
José M.
José M., Attorney
Category: Spain Law
Satisfied Customers: 6357
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
Type Your Spain Law Question Here...
José M. is online now

I have 2 properties in rural Spain with mortgages. They are

This answer was rated:

I have 2 properties in rural Spain with mortgages. They are both mothballed but I continue to pay the mortgages. In addition I have one semi reformed property with no debt and 2 ruins with no work undertaken. I would quite happily walk away from all of it if I didn't have to pay the mortgage fees. We returned to the uk in 2011. I am worried that if I hand the keys in and stop paying they will chase my house in UK. What advice can you offer. Thanks in advance.
Hi there
According to spanish law, the bank, must seize and take the mortaged propiety first, so, each bank has to follow this way.
Before they done it, you could deal with them to give the propiety or whatever you could interested on
If they do not accept your offers, they have to demand you in court in order to get, firstly the propiety of the mortaged propiety, and then, they could demand you at court againforr the sum left
If you got something here in Spain they could seize it and sell it at court by a judicial procedure
At the end of it they hardly could seize you and demand in UK. They have to spent a lot of money to do that and you could force them to go in Spain first for all you got here
So, if the risk is to be seized in UK the risk is very low
The steps are, stop making payments, as long as you pay tgey do not deal with you
During 6 months they try to threat you, do noy take care of them
6 months later you will be called from the risk department of the bank and its only with them who you have to deal
Try to get an agrement with them and do not pay
At the end they will have to decide what to do, and they always deal
I have some experience with cases like yours
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What kind of fee's are involved for you?
There are two mortgages on two rural properties in relatively good condition and I have a rural house built in brick only no plaster, electric, plumbing etc and 2 ruins probably not worth much.
Hi there, my fees are very good
My now I must follow the rules of this site and I need from you to accept may service and the offer
Then you will get my mail and we could deal the best way to manage your case
Thank you
if you do not want o manage with me is Ok
Please to rate positively the service
Thank you
José M. and other Spain Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your advice. I will discuss with my wife what we will do next and I will let you know. I have rated your response as 5 Star thank you.
Thank you