How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask José M. Your Own Question
José M.
José M., Attorney
Category: Spain Law
Satisfied Customers: 8680
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
Type Your Spain Law Question Here...
José M. is online now

I am in the process of inheriting a flat in Madrid /London

This answer was rated:

I am in the process of inheriting a flat in Madrid I’m English/London based, I’m in the process of inheriting a flat in Madrid, I can’t afford the up keep of the flat so want to rent it out short term 4-6 mths until the flat is in my name and sell it to the neighbour. I’ve been told that I have to let it out on a 5year contract. I’m confused as the flat technically is still in my late uncles name.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: The renaming of the ownership of the flat has gone to the Town Hall, I’ve been told it will take anywhere from 3-6 mths
Assistant: Where is the flat located?
Customer: central Madrid
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There’s no money left in the estate funds to pay for any bills.

Hi José M spanish atorney. Spanish law only allows 2 kind of contracts on your case. Less than 12 months contract as you say you want to do, or more than 12 months who means a minimun of 5 years.

So you are free to contract for 6 months or 5 if you want In order to do it the nest way is to contract a profesional real state agency in Madrid who manage the case and send you the money

Whatever document from your country which says that you are the heir of your cousin will be good enougnt to rent it

Idealista is a good example of profesional net of real state agencies which you could use to sell the propiety or rent it

José M. and other Spain Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do I need to get a lawyer to draw up a contract?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As my lawyer in Madrid is insisting it’s a 5yr contract or nothing

No, not really. But most real state agencies has so you get one to ensure you position with them The best in your case is to contract with an agency for sure

No, you could contract for less than a month Your atorney probably wnats to make a 5 years contract to ask for extra securities in case you do not get paid I mean in a five years contract you could ask for a 6 months warrant. In 11 months you cant do that